Retaining stubble and trash carries enormous benefits for farmers, both in terms of cost savings and increased yields but also in continual land improvement.
- The stubble and trash rots on the soil surface, allowing nutrients to return to the soil as nature intended.
- The stubble root gives the soil some structure which helps to prevent erosion.
- The standing stubble slows down the wind speed at ground level thus reducing wind erosion.
- The standing stubble helps to protect the ground from the heat of the sun thus aiding in moisture retention for the growing season.
- The standing stubble protects the emerging seedling from the heat of the sun.
- The trash laying on the ground aids in moisture retention for the growing season.